Software Engineer

Jason Hancock

last update:

Someday I’m going to get better about regularly updating this blog. Anyhow, Laura and I are in escrow on a townhouse in San Dimas. It’s a ~1700 sq. ft, 3 bed/2.5 bath, 2 car attached garage type of house. It was build in 1989 and has a few recent updates. We’re hoping to close in the beginning part of August. I’ve been building some tools at work recently. I was developing by myself and management decided to add another deveoper to the mix.

water drops

I read a post over on strobist.com on water droplet photos, so I decided that I needed to try taking some. For my first attempt, I think they turned out pretty good. I used a pyrex 13”x9” pan filled almost to the top with water, a ziplock bag with a small hole in it, some pvc I had lying around to hang the bag from, my light stand, a Nikon SB-600 strobe, my radio triggers, a piece of white posterboard to bounce the flash off of, my homemade grid snoot, and my roscoe gel samples.

We went to the Huntington Library today. It was our second trip to the library. It started off very overcast and cool, which was nice because our last trip was during the middle of a July afternoon! I snapped pictures in the gardens. I only used my 50mm lens thinking that I really wanted to get a nice shallow depth of field. Reviewing my photos, I did get the shallow depth of field, but often it was too shallow!

killer burgers

I got home relatively early today, so I decided that I wanted to try and cook something new for dinner. Laura and I decided that we wanted to try gourmet stuffed cheeseburgers for dinner. Ingredients: 1.5 lbs ground beef 2 Tbsp. dark beer (We used Newcastle) 1⁄2 of an onion, diced 1⁄2 tsp. seasoned salt 3 pieces of crisp bacon, diced 1 cup cheddar cheese (we actually used 1⁄2 cup cheddar and 1⁄2 cup colby jack) Start by cooking the bacon, allowing it to cool a little bit, then dicing it.

I got a lot done this weekend and managed to have a bunch of fun too! How’s that for a productive weekend? First off, website updates. I posted 4 new galleries of pictures (Grandma Mack’s Disneyland trip, Grandma Mack’s 82nd birthday, Easter, and Picnic Day). I also organanized them and prepped them for long-term achival with the rest of my data. I realized that I’m running out of disk space in a bad way (shooting raw will do that to ya), so I need to figure out what I’m going to do for long term archival and backup.

Last weekend we went to Davis for picnic day. I wrangled my buddy James into going out at sunrise to check out some bridges in the countryside. I shot a couple rolls of film (Kodak Plus-X 125) while I was up there. Since PCC is currently on spring break, I’ll have to wait until next week to develop it. One really positive thing that has come out of my photo class is that I have discovered that I really like proofsheets.

domke f2

In addition to the filters that I ordered, I also ordered a Domke F2 shoulder bag in black. I was a bit skepical after reading everything online as people either love it or hate it. I love it. My LowePro backpack was good, but it was a hassle to get in and out of and it couldn’t really carry 2 camera bodies very well. The F2 has room for both bodies (D80 and N80), 50mm f/1.

update

I’ve been working a lot lately. I have been tasked with building some web based data analysis tools. I had to dust of my web designer hat for this one….once I had the code functional, I spent 1⁄2 day making it pretty. I don’t spend as much time as I’d like in Photoshop anymore 🙁 I ordered some filters for my camera - a red #25, a yellow #8, and two circular polarizing filters (52mm and 72mm).

Today, I learned the hard way about character encodings and file conversion utilities. At work, I’m building a system that takes a data dump from system A(a windows server) and imports it into system B(a linux server). System A outputs a file I’m going to call input.txt in utf16 format. System B wants the input in utf-8. At first, I didn’t realize that input.txt was in utf16 format. I looked at the file in vi and saw that the first byte was garbage, then every-other byte was garbage.

I’ve been pretty busy lately. Between my B/W photography class, work, and finding reasons to escape to take pictures, I’ve hardly had any downtime. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a new domain to host my photography portfolio. I started writting a wordpress plugin the other day. It’s almost functional and ready for alpha release. After developing that plugin, I thought that instead of building my whole site end-to-end from scratch, that I should take some framework and build plugins on top of it to do what I want it to.